Pressure Cooker 101
Top 8 Reasons to get an Electric Pressure Cooker in your Kitchen.
Written by: K. Armstrong Dec 19, 2019
If you are a person who actually likes to have a decent meal in your system so that you can be at your best, then listen up. If you struggle with getting good wholesome meals for you and/or your kids without breaking the bank, then you might want to consider getting an electric pressure cooker in your life today.
Now, I am not going to tell you that your life will change or that the pressure cooker is the answer to all of life’s problems but I will tell you that if you are tired of being hungry and losing all of your hard earned money on fast food or high end restaurants that leave you not quite full and an empty wallet, then I recommend purchasing a electric pressure cooker.
There are many reasons to learn how to pressure cook your meals and I will start with the top reasons-you are tired of eating out and would like a good home cooked meal. Here are some top reasons why an electric pressure cooker can help you with this dilemma.
1. A quality, decent and wholesome home cooked meal ready in less time and with less equipment.
2. less prep time
3. healthier options in the limited time
4. save you money in the long run
5. One pot meal with No babysitting!
6. Clean up is a breeze
7. You won’t heat up your kitchen
8. Uses less energy
- You can get a quality, decent and wholesome home cooked meal that doesn’t require a culinary background. One can get a rump roast from the store and take it home and rub some kosher salt on it and start sautéing it in extra virgin olive oil. This tenderizes your meat and starts adding flavor to your dish. Then you can throw in some baby carrots and some diced onion and celery and maybe some mushrooms. Add some broth or water with bouillon then put the lid on and set your cooker to around 50 minutes. Let it slow release for about 15 minutes then vent your pot. Your roast will fall apart when you touch it. It is that simple and that good! Your loved ones will be impressed.
- Less prep time needed for a good quality meal. You can be planning all while you are working at your job on what you want for dinner that night and you can go by the store on your way home and let your stomach tell you what sounds good. You can have a wonderful succulent rack of ribs all to yourself or for your loved ones to enjoy by dinnertime. Why is that? Because you will pressure cook your ribs in some apple juice and some apple cider vinegar and you will have fall off the bone ribs all to yourself and/or your family. You can also make a beautiful pot of the most delicious homemade Mac and Cheese that just melts in your mouth. For some reason, homemade mac and cheese is just heavenly. I mean, you will have to sit down it’s that good. I have a recipe for Mac and Cheese right Here if you are interested. I also have an awesome rib recipe that will make you think you have died and gone to heaven. You can have a full course meal like this ready and have time, while you are waiting for your ribs or mac and cheese, you can be cutting up a beautiful salad made with romaine and cherry tomatoes. Maybe cut up some cucumber and there you have it. You will have made a beautiful meal for you and/or your loved ones or friends to enjoy.
- Much healthier. Now, granted, the mac and cheese and ribs that I enticed you with are not fat free and with all things, one must use good discipline and moderation. Save that for when you have been good. LOL! However, I can assure you that you can make a lot of healthy soup recipes that are healthy and just delicious, and you will have made it from scratch. That means that you control the amount of sodium or fat that is included with your meals. You can choose to add spinach or long grain rice instead of noodles to whatever dish you might be making. I happen to have a great recipe that my family enjoys that includes white northern beans and spinach as well as the usual diced carrots, onions, celery and dried parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. You can access that by clicking Here.
- It can save you money in the long run. It is more budget friendly to make your own meals and not eat out and pay a restaurant their high prices. One can make a succulent full course meal for at least half of what it can cost them at a typical restaurant. If we are talking about a typical chain restaurant, they would easily charge you $20.00 for a platter of roast with mashed or baked potatoes and steamed vegetables for one person. With this platter, you don’t know the cleanliness of the cook and you don’t know what spices were used or how they prepared your dish. For about $17.00, you can purchase a whole roast with a 10 pound bag of potatoes and steamed vegetables for a typical family of four to enjoy and have leftovers to eat on for another meal. Not to mention, you will have potatoes to fix for your next meal. I work hard for what little money I earn, and with this current economy, I like to stretch my dollar as far as it can go. With the electric pressure cooker, one is more encouraged to throw some food in the pot knowing that they can have restaurant quality in an hour or two depending on the meal. Some meals are faster than others. For example, if making hamburger with macaroni or noodles (hamburger helper), you can have that ready in about a half hour at the most. A pot of chili can take about a half hour if you factor in the sauté time and the time allotted to come to pressure.
- Depending on the recipe, one can use one pot for their whole meal from start to finish. This makes meal prep easier. You can set it and let it do its thing. No babysitting! For example, I can make a good pot of spaghetti within a half an hour with one pot. Before I owned my pressure cooker, I used to use a pot to boil the noodles where I had to babysit that and a skillet to brown the hamburger and I had to babysit that and then add the sauce all while splashing all over my stovetop. Now, I sauté the meat, then add the sauce, then add the noodles with enough water to cover the noodles. Set it to 7 to 10 minutes on high pressure depending on how you like your pasta and set it and let it do its thing. No babysitting! On some of my busier nights, I use the one pot recipes to help me out. I can start the spaghetti and while that’s coming to pressure and cooking, I can check my mailbox or pay some bills and listen for my cooker to beep 3 times. When it does that, then I do a quick release. If we are not ready to do dinner yet, no worries, your cooker will keep your meal warm until you are ready. So, if you need to run to the store really quick and get some drinks, you can just have that ready for when you get back.
- Ham and Beans! If you enjoy a good pot of beans and cornbread, you can have a pot of beans within an hour or less. I mean, from dry bean and frozen ham leftover from Christmas or something, to cooked and ready to eat. One can also cook cornbread in their pot, but I use my air fryer for that. (I will submit an article about the benefits of air frying soon.) Nevertheless, I count the fact that I can cook a pot of beans like they have been cooking all day in the slow cooker as another benefit. There are a lot of benefits to fixing a pot of beans to include getting some fiber in your diet and I can put them on and set it and forget it. Set the beans and then go shopping or run errands and know that dinner is ready whenever we want it. Because of the “keep warm” feature, the pressure cooker is a great way to have dinner done and waiting for you.
- Clean up is a breeze when using an electric pressure cooker. This is true especially when cooking a one pot meal. Just pour the contents in a food safe container and soak the inner pot with hot soapy water. If you get some burn at the bottom of your inner pot which happens sometimes, add some vinegar to the hot soapy water and your stainless-steel pot will shine and be odor free. Also, take the rubber seal out of the lid and soak that in the vinegar solution and that should have less of an odor to it.
- You won’t heat up your kitchen and make your house hot. I live in the Midwest and we get some pretty hot and humid days in the summer. The last thing you want to do is heat up your house, but you want a decent meal. With the electric pressure cooker, you can have your good meal and keep your house cool.
So, I hope that this encourages the home cook to look into getting a electric pressure cooker for their use. There is a bit of a learning curve to using a electric pressure cooker. With persistence and watching and learning from the many YouTube videos that are available or blog demonstrations, one can learn that it is so much easier to throw some things in the pot and let it do its magic.
I am an Amazon Affiliate and will make commission from the following links:
For those who are interested in purchasing a good quality pressure cooker, please feel free to click the following link.
For more Kitchen necessities, feel free to click on the following link: